Re: [alfa] 164S Smog Test Failure - Suggestions How To Pass?

If your other emissions levels were in the 'normal'
range, I'd bet that the cat is nearing the end of it's
useful life.  You didn't say when it was last
replaced, so if it's more than a few years old (or
even better--if it's still original), then it's a good
chance this is the problem.  I had a pontiac that was
having trouble passing, and it was because the
original cat had about 150k on it, even through it was
only about 4 years old.

It could also be the O2 sensor, but if the cat is
working properly, I *think* it would mask the problem
anyway.  Get a local shop to check the O2 sensor
before you do anything else that costs more than 20
bucks.  If that reads good enough, then you know it's
time for a nice shiny new high-flow cat.  I put a
Carsound cat on my spider and it seems to work well
enough.

Now that I think about it---most exhaust/muffler shops
worth their salt have an O2 sensor tester, so you
could do it all in one stop.  Find a place that does a
lot of custom work--don't go to the chains.

Hope this helps..

Stacy Faught
'87 Spider Quad (trying to shake itself into pieces)
'78 Sport Sedan (now, with NEW, non-warped speedo/tach
needles and a heater fan that works again!!!!!)