[alfa] passing Calif NO standard

Re Rob's high NO on his 164:

My wife's 85 BMW 535i was very close to this NO limit when taking its first
dyno test in December, but was just under and squeaked by (NO was not formerly
tested on cars of this era).  The smog shop concurred with your guess, saying
that cars with good CO and HC, but high NO, generally have been set up to run
lean, which was the case with mid-80s BMWs.  The shop said the solution, if
the car is otherwise running OK, is to adjust the air flow meter to fool the
car into thinking it's running richer.  That is if you can't adjust the
mixture to in fact make it run richer.  But this procedure was recommeded for
the BMW.  I'm unsure how similar the 164 injection is.

Andrew Watry
Berkeley, CA