[alfa] early vs. late accelerator-pump jets on Dellortos

Anyone able to advise about the reasons for differences in accelerator-pump
jet design between early and late Dellortos?

I have recently put the good Dellortos from my '73 105 on my '85 116 to tide
me over while I rebuild the carbs of the 116.  When I had the carbs off, I
had a great time pressing the throttle linkage on the 105 carbs and watching
four jets of fuel squirt across my workshop.  In these carbs, the
accelerator-pump jets squirt directly into the intake port, parallel to the
intake flow.  In the 116 carbs, however, the accelerator pump jet squirts
directly down, perpendicular to the intake flow.  Why was the design changed?

Since putting the 105 carbs on the 116, I have noticed an increase in the
smell of fuel in my oil.  This troubles me slightly, for the obvious reasons.
Are the two related?

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ