[alfa] RE: Alfa Spider Headlight Covers

There have been several postings lately concerning mounting headlight
buckets behind the fender to accommodate Carello covers. I don't
proclaim to be an expert in this area but I have successfully installed
Carello covers on two of my Alfa Spiders, a 1971 "1750", and a series 3,
1985 Graduate. The 1750 seems to have been destined for covers and even
had little rectangular holes for the cover mounting tabs. I had to cut
these tab holes myself for the 1985 Spider. Otherwise, no modifications
are required to either the fender or the buckets and replacing bulbs is
still done from the front as well as bulb alignment. To complete the
installation though, access to the inner fender area is required after
removal of the baffle plate.

My standard buckets were mounted from the back using the same mounting
holes as formerly, but on 1" x 5/16" roll pins used as spacers. Use
3"x10-32 phillips head stainless screws and nuts with washers. All that
screw length is not absolutely necessary but makes installation easier
because of limited working space. The chrome trim rings which secure the
bulbs in place with 3 small screws will now be flush with the front of
the fender and there will a very small circular gap showing of no
consequence. This gap, the 3 mounting screws, and the adjusting holes
barely show through the clear Carello covers obviating the need for trim
rings. No gasket needed either, as splash from the front wheel will be
contained by the baffle plate, although water and dirt will still find its way behind the clear covers through the small gaps between cover &
fender necessitating removal of the covers every time it rains or the
car is washed.

As I was repainting the cars at the time the covers were installed, I
chose an alternate way of securing the covers to the fender. I drilled
and tapped for 6-32 machine threads, a 5/16" flat head ss machine screw
which I embedded into the fender. Using 3/8" washers and a nut behind
the fender, tighten the nut drawing the flat head screw down making a
dimple in the fender, leaving the flat head screw top flush with the
fender. Use epoxy to make the installation permanent, sand, prime, &
paint. A small stainless 6-32 socket head screw now holds the cover in
place, shows less, and makes the covers harder to steal.

For anyone interested, I can email a couple of closeup pictures showing
the completed installation. Contact me off-line.
Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider