Re: [alfa] Re: Cruched exhaust.

 Eric:

No, not last year, this was a long time ago, in our
Milano that we broke the oil pan.  I believe it was
the Phoenix convention. We'd stopped in Alpine to see
Bernie Z, and from there went to MacDonald observatory
at Ft. Davis, TX, for a nighttime outdoor interpreted
star show.  Very nice. We Stayed in Ft. Davis that
night and next day headed north on a road where there
was much storm drain construction.  Well, I hit one
hard and there did not seem to be any damage; but that
night when the engine cooled there was a puddle under
the car and we were a quart low. Next day, after the
engine cooled, another quart. Guess heating the pan up
closed the crack; but when not running it dripped.
Stopped on the way to the hotel and bought a turkey
roaster pan and oil dry to keep serious seepage from
embarrasing us and polluting the world. Had to
pre-weight it with stones cause the local breeze kept
blowing that aluminum pan.<g>. Located an oil pan and
a guy to install it thru locals in the club.

Sorry for misleading you, at the time I wrote the
first note, I was having a senior moment and couldn't
recall which convention, so used the generic '. . .
convention out west . . .'  No way I would have loaned
out Diana's Spider if there had been something wrong
with it! But we were glad to give you guys an
opportunity to compete.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham TX

ps Our '91 164L will be delivered back to us today
after a couple of months and t-belt, and leak stoppage
and steering rack bushings and who remembers what
else. It may be the car we come to N. Hampshire in
this summer, tho we are putting the spider in for lots
of 'little' things, shocks, door seal, suspension
parts and the like. bjb

alfa@domain.elided wrote:

>Bernie,
>Don't be so modest!  You need to tell MORE of the
story- first of all, whose car
>is your Spider, for real....
>
>And assuming this was recently driving to Southern
California:

>What did you do with the car at the convention....
>
>Worse than that, what you let 3 of your friends to to
the same car at the same
>place...  (who were a bunch of sad sacks with a blown
up GTA)

>Dang- I didn't know the car was broken...
>
>Eric
>

>>Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:24:09 -0600
>>From: Bernie Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided>
>>Subject: Re: [alfa] Crunched Exhaust on Milano
>>
>>Derek:
>>
>>Been there, but instead of manifolds, we broke our
oil pan on the way to
>>an Alfa Convention out west, a few years ago.
Sounds like we were lucky
>>compared to you, only needed a pan, and it only
leaked about a quart a
>>day. Was drivable.
>>
>>Best Wishes,
>>Bernie Bennett