Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1108

> There are  a number of things that one can do to improve braking. The
> easiest is to replace the discs with some upgraded aftermarket slotted
> and/or cross-drilled rotors. Unless one goes for bigger wheels, though
> (and they don't look right on a car of that vintage) you are pretty
> much stuck with the standard diameter rotors. Then one can fit
> light-competition.autocross pads from Ferodo or some such. These two
> will improve stopping distances (once the brakes heat up) by quite a
> bit.  For calipers, there are a number of routes. If one can get new
> backing plates made (a minor thing consisting of cutting and drilling
> some sheet metal) and can find a Porsche bone-yard (like our APE, only
> for Porsches) one can use the multi-piston calipers from one of those
> on the front. Or one can buy the after-market kits for these cars
> offered by both Brembo and Tar-Ox. The latter is expensive. There are
> other US aftermarket brake manufacturers that I'm sure could come up
> with a custom solution for a GTV-6. But these are expensive. I just
> went for the cross-drilled rotors and harder pads.

The calipers are from a Porsche 944 Turbo.  They can also be fit to early 105 spindals along with the Montreal vented rotors (if one feels like paying $500 for the pair).  Direct bolt on.

As well as Brembo (OEM) and Tar-Ox, there's Outlaw for aftermarket replacements.

A couple of cheap(er) and easy improvements to the braking is replacing the rear disks with Brembo SZ vented rotors.   You need to get the kit with the caliper spacer too.   A set of CarboTech Panther Plus pads in front and the street pads in the rear is a phenominal change in initial bite, stoppping distance and fade.   The Milano was totally transformed with these 2 items.   I'd also recommend Motul RBF600 fluid too for some heat resistance for the inboard rears.   The braking points on the track were unbelievable with this combo.   Stock calipers and ABS on the Verde.

All of the above mentioned items can be had from Performatek (www.performatek.com).  Andy is very helpful and knowledgable about getting the right combination on your car.  You could say I'm a VERY satisfied customer.

HTH

-Peter