re: [alfa] Modern alternator for 105 2000 GTV

Hi Mark,

>My 1973 GTV has a non-original alternator with inbuilt regulator that
claims
>to be of of Australian origin. It's a bit too big (difficult to find belt
of
>the right length that fits without alt hitting the oil filter), and is well
>worn (recently had to have new brushes, bearings are now noisy).

>So rather than rebuild this one I thought that I'd go looking for a more
>modern, smaller alternator, preferably something that I can get cheaply
from
>a local japanese car wrecker.

Perhaps not Japanese but EB Falcon alternators apparently are the same size
internally.  You need to find a good Bosch alternator to act as a donor for
the housing (so the mounting bolts are in the right spot).  My local auto
electrician offered to build one up for me when I had a dead one but
I ended up going second hand (no probs after two years fingers crossed!)

Factory rebuilt Falcon units are relatively cheap and very plentiful.
The Falcon unit puts out a lot more amps (up to 70).  While I realise that
second hand Japanese parts are now so prevalent in NZ they threaten to
sink the north island into the Pacific, getting one rebuilt may prove to be
a nightmare and the next time you go looking for a second hand one it
might be unavailable - necessitating more under hood bodging and
searching for strange length belts etc.

Truth be told, a good Bosch unit from an Alfa is economical to repair and
fits properly, so unless you really need the extra amps (for big stereo or
lights or whatever), you may be better off with an original one.  Most Alfa
wreckers here in Oz only charge $50 for a decent used unit, budget another
$100
to get it sorted out with new brushes and drive for another 30 years.

Cheers,

dave.
1983 Jeep Cherokee "gaston"
1975 Alfa spider veloce "rusty"