[alfa] Lamenting my 86 Graduate

Hello all...

I'm writing for some advice, first on how to cope with the loss of an
Alfa but mostly on how to get it back.

This week I was told that my 86 Graduate needs $1500 in repairs for the
transmission.  I'd been using it as my main car for the last few years
and we've been through a few Chicago winters together.  My job requires
me to do a lot of driving so I haven't been babying it by any means.
But what we go through during winter (and also, spring, fall and
summer), she more than makes up for it to me during the summer.

I've pretty much resolved to do what I can to get my car back but it's
going to take some time before I'm able to afford it.  However, a
transmission is available right now.  Rational thought -- as in any
good, albeit slightly dysfunctional relationship -- has less to do with
this than emotions.  That's why I'm not posting this on a Saturn
listserve.

But, in an attempt to think this thing through, I have the following
questions:

1. What do you think my chances are in a transmission being available
in a few months, maybe a year?

2. Assuming an Alfa is just another inanimate object, should I just try
to find another one down the line.

Any words of advice, encouragement, or personal experience would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

Sam in Chicago
86 Graduate - out of commission
92 Honda Something-or-Other, it doesn't matter