[alfa] Detailed detailing questions

At some nebulously defined point this weekend (maybe next, I'm not sure) I will undertake a serious detailing of my GTV-6's engine compartment. Therefore, I seek the collective wisdom of the Digestivi on the following points:

1a- Would something as mundane as "Gunk" suffice? Or should I be ensnared by the siren song of cleaners, polishers, etc. as available from Griot's Garage?
1b- What products would you suggest for this undertaking?
2- Is "spray-on, hose-off" the accepted protocol for such detailage?
3- If the anser to #2 is "yes" then what is/are the thing(s) I have to cover up away from the stream/spray of water?
4- The black finish (paint?) on the plenum has a few little spots wher it has peeled off...any suggestions for making it look all pretty again?
5- Any other bits of equipment (swabs, brushes, old towels, etc.) that I would need? Any semi-useful tips?

As you formulate your answer(s) take into consideration that I prefer "simple" to "easy" and don't mind taking up a perfectly good weekend to get the engine bay looking like new.

TIA,

-Joe in SoFla
1984 GTV-6 "Maratona" ~22K mi.
199_ Spider Project TBA
199_ 164LS (out there somewhere, waiting for me to buy it)