[alfa] Help needed with speedo problem

    Once again, I could use some help from the digest. After much work on the
speedo in my 73 Spider, it looks as if the small gear on the end of the
"sender" is not engaging with the worm gear inside the gear box. I have only seen
the worm gear thru an inspection mirror, and I can feel it, but I cant
ascertain the amount of wear it has. The little gear on the end of the sender looks
OK, but perhaps the diameter of it is worn. The sender fits in so positively, I
cant imagine anything could be wrong except wear of one of these gears, or
perhaps both of them.
     Does anyone have any experience with this? Can a replacement gear for
the sender be obtained? Is it possible that the internal worm gear is worn? Does
the gear box have to be taken down to get to the worm gear? Any other
thoughts or tips?
   Thanks in advance!
        Randy Long
        73 Spider
     P.S. - I have eliminated everything else. I know that spinning the
sender gear with a drill will operate the speedo.