Re: [alfa] Stainless

Darren Leung wrote:

I'd hate to see this topic digress to the point of people believing that
'quality stainless' is brittle, and that's that.  There are many, many types
of stainless out there, some less brittle than others, and a simple google
search yields this page:
http://www.cozeburn.com/stainless.asp
Why not go straight to the exhaust experts:
http://www.burnsstainless.com/TechArticles/Stainless_article/stainless_article.html
(wow, they sell really neat stuff... I really want to get a TIG welder now.)

Also, to really keep stainless from rusting it should be "pickled" after it is machined or welded. The pickling process uses nitric acid to eat away the top layer of Iron atoms leaving behind a surface with a much higher ratio of chromium atoms... these quickly oxidize to produce the durable rust proof coating that keeps SS from rusting. This is why you also should NOT use steel wool on stainless as you can embed bits of Fe on the surface of the SS and it will start to rust (although slowly.)

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org