[alfa] Stainless exhaust

The "lower quality" stainless steel used for the guts of good exhaust systems is actually steel with more resistance to fatigue cracking. You don't want really "good" stainless steel in any environment where flexing is common as it turns brittle much faster than mild steel, then cracks and is the very devil to weld.

Actually, aluminized steel is the best stuff to make exhausts from. These systems last about six years under normal Canadian winters (much longer in warmer less salted environments) and cost less than half the cost of stainless. Two systems on your car last 12 years, or more (usually the coldest bits rust through first which are the rear mufflers) and with present value analysis of true costs make stainless look pretty dumb. I've put exactly two exhaust systems on my 91 Alfa and no more than three on my 86 SAAB 9000 Turbo. I'm way ahead of any stainless system on a cost basis.

Aluminized steel is lighter and if it cracks or spot rusts can be welded by incompetent buffoons at your local muffler shop and last another three years before anew component might be needed.

Cheers

and BTW, stainless rusts alright, ocean going yachts have lost masts because their owners assumed stainless steel does not rust. The rigging may be galvanized wire but the turnbuckles will be stainless and they rust in the ocean environment. They just rust slowly.
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner