[alfa] Starter support bracket for 1.1hp starters

In a message dated 1/14/2004 1:47:21 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:38:10 -0800
From: Stefano.Iachella@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Re: Starter support bracket for 1.1hp starters

My Alfetta has (had) this bracket and my starter is the 1.1 hp
version. After I had the starter rebuilt, I couldn't get it back on.
I tried every angle I could. Getting it off was bad enough, but
it's not on right now.

Notching the racket itself would seem like a good idea, not the
motor mount. I've thought of doing that to be able to get it back
on or handing to my mechanic the next time in.

Stefano
Oakland, CA
    The starter bracket is a pain to get in, but it can be done.  I have even
done it on a Bosch Alfa with the intake plenium in place.  The support has to
be put on the starter before the starter is put in place.  It definitely has
to be put in before the starter bolts are completely tight.
    Leaving the starter support off can lead to a cracked bellhousing.  I
have had to weld Alfa bellhousings, probably due to a missing support bracket.
The later gear drive starters are half the weight of the 1.1 starter and do not
require a support.  Or at least I have never seen a support bracket on the
Alfa spiders after 1986 or 1987.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City