Re: [alfa] Starter support bracket for 1.1hp starters

I recall reading that the block, or perhaps motor mount, must be notched
out.  I obtained a 1.1 hp starter for use on my 72 Spider, but then got
worried about the issue of number of teeth in the gear, and never installed
it.  The starter, I believe, came from an Alfetta (not the race car that I
just learned about, but the later production car).  How does the issue of
drive gear teeth square with the issue of starter horsepower--are all
combinations possible?  Can one switch the drive gear to utilize the better
motor?  Can one install the motor without the bracket?

Thanks,

Bob Wilkinson
72 Spider in warm (at least today) Saint Louis

Jon Pike wrote:

I got another 1.1hp starter with a bracket,  but it seems to not be able to
fit on the motor mount stud.  At least, not without machining a notch out
of both the mount AND part of the block!