[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1072 - milano center support stuff

In a message dated 1/11/2004 10:03:41 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:55:21 -0700
From: Carson or Wendy <dammwood@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] milano center support stuff

A while back I asked about the possibility of getting the driveshaft out
without taking the transaxle down.
Thought I had it licked put in the end I couldn't split the exhaust at
the slip joint near the rear caliper anyway.
-------------------------------

    You need a blue wrench (acetylene torch).  Heat the outer part of the
slip joint cherry red, wallow (technical term) the inside portion around a bit to
open things up and slip it apart.
    Reassemble with muffler putty inside the pipe.  It will seal the wallowed
out joint plus it will come apart easier next time.  Muffler putty is
available from various manufacturers at your local auto parts store.
    I really like the bolted flange joints like those on the mid 1980's
spiders.  They are so much easier to deal with than slip joints.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City