[alfa] Re: Spider rear spring replacement.

Installation is the reverse of removal, be careful guiding the bottom of
the shock into the hole in the control arm on the way up, pulling the shock
back down with the spring in place is a little difficult.

Especially without the factory spring tool so again, you must
innovate.  Stack a bunch of bricks, bags of sand, shovel dirt or bribe
the two fat broads from down the street to stand in the open trunk to
compress the springs far enough to thread the nuts on the shock rods.

What may be simpler is to take them off by removing them thru the top towers and the panel in the rear firewalls. It's kind of more work, but then the area is totally clear while you're working on the springs, and you can extend them all the way before dropping them back down if they don't naturally want to expand. You pull them out, mounting caps and all.

We were replacing springs, the trailing arm bushings and most everything else in the area.

Of the Sachs/Boge shocks I had on the car, one seemed to have internal pressure and would fully extend itself, the other didn't (probably a bad sign) I got a set of used Koni Red's which I've put on instead, they weren't a problem with moving them thru the coils with fingers for final adjustment. I guess that could vary with how easy your shocks move, and how big your fingers are. The stock springs are pretty widely wound, but it was more of an issue with the W&D sport springs I got.

But, if you're going to remove springs, it probably would be eaiser to pull the shocks out of the top, to avoid having to mess with a shock loose insde the spring while handling spring, shock and trailing arm. On reassembly, getting the shock back in place at the top end would be much eaiser, as well.

Funny note, one of the jobs I had my wife do was removing the shocks thru the top ends.. I hadn't thought about it too much, kinda gave it to her as a task while I did a few other things.. She did pretty well at it, but when we were done and started lowering the first arm, she immidiately asked "So, why didn't we just undo that bottom bolt??" and there was a little embarassment. Covered of course by lame explanations about ease of working on the rest of the area (which turned out to be somewhat true, but she wasn't buying it) and so forth. Sometimes she's a little too quick.. ;-)

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider