[alfa] GTV-6 (and Alfetta GT) wipers: swept area

Joe Elliott writes: "I got some wiper arms for my GTV-6 that aren't
quite as worn as the original ones, so that the blades are more
perpendicular to the glass now--wiping is much improved.  However, the
swept area is now somewhat less!  The driver's side, at least, doesn't
sweep out as far as it used to."

********

Joe, I'm a little confused. What wears on wiper arms? Wiper blades of
course, but arms?

If you really meant arms, which I interpret as the entire exterior part
of the wiping system, do they have the same angle as the old ones?

I've just been undoing a problem which I created on my wiper system over
a decade ago on my Alfetta GT. I can assure you if you are a spline (or
two) off, the blades can park at the base of the windshield, but would
have much preferred to park maybe an inch or more below it. Not good for
the motor. Perhaps you did, but if not, pull both arms back and turn the
wipers on. Assuming the automatic parking portion is working, let them
park, then push the arms back down. This will let you know where the
arms should be adjusted to.

If okay, check underneath the 'ledge' where the linkage arms reside. Is
there anything at all getting in the way of the progress of the linkage
arms and shafts such as wiring or hoses?

My brief confession is that I felt it would look so much neater to place
the 1" thick A/C return hose behind the linkage arms and shafts. Somehow
could never figure out why my wipers never worked well after that. If
the impediment is not too severe the motor will keep turning, but cause
havoc with the linkage arms and consequently the wiper arms. Before
figuring out the problem, I had the blades parking, then coming back up
for about a third of a turn - meaning they parked slightly below the
middle of the windshield. The A/C hose was pushing it back up.

Mine is well now, but did take a lot of adjusting since I switched out
complete wiper assemblies.

Doubt if this applies to GTV-6's but if your motor attaches to the three
outer holes on the mounting bracket, it is a Marelli. If it attaches to
the inner three, it's a Bosch. The linkage arms / shafts and motors are
not interchangeable.

Biba
Finally ready for rain in...
Irwindale, CA USA