[alfa] Replacing rear springs on Spider- questions!

I am preparing to replace my rear springs on my '73 Spider.  I was recently told by an Alfa mechanic that having the stock springs was the best way to control oversteer, so I purchased a set of Alfa rears.

My question is, can I use conventional spring compressors to compress these springs?  I.E. the ones that you just attach two of these to the spring and turn the nuts until the spring in compressed enough?

I assume that I will just need to disconnect the straps, shock, etc.  Any other tips?  Also, how can I tell if my trailing arm bushings are bad while I am in there?  I am planning to replace the sway bar bushings.  Anything else I should look for?

Thanks,

--
Jason Hagen
Chicago, IL