[alfa] Re: RE: V6 Engine Swaps - Another Rational Idea

">How 'bout a Ford 5.0 into a Jag E-type?  It's been done.

...and it's disgusting.  Why replace a historically-significant engine
that can be tweaked to put out 300 smooth, reliable horsepower with a POS
pushrod V8 of little or no historical or technological significance?  It
seems to me that the out-of-the-box power output is lower than the OEM Jag
engine, and while three 45DCOEs might cost more than the upgrade
"carburetors" available for American engines, you've probably got some
money to spend if you're building your own car, or restoring an E-type.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm anything but a purist when it comes to
originality, but destroying the value, performance, and charm of an E-type
with the wrong engine just doesn't make sense."

First, who ever heard of a "smooth,reliable" Jaguar XK-E. Many moons ago I
had a '66 4.2. It came with a sign on the dash that read "Get home before
dark".
As to the 300hp, it should be remembered that the old 265hp rating for the
4.2 was pre-smog. After EPA the rating quickly dropped to around 170. I will
say, that when it ran, it was smooth. They were cheap in those days, I don't
think I paid $3,000.00.

As to the Ford conversion, the kit sold by John's Jaguars is completely
reversible. The only reason anyone would really want to reverse it, after
owning it
both ways, would be market value.

Tom Faust