[alfa] cutting GTV-6 parcel shelf for speaker installation

I've discovered that the speakers in my GTV-6's 'parcel shelf' are totally shot and I'd like to replace them with some others that I have lying around, but the new ones require two openings in the mounting plane, whereas the old ones only required one. I was surprised by how thick the plastic backing on the carpet is! What's the deal with that? What do you folks use to cut the stuff for stereo installations??

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6