[alfa] Laboratory aids in fuel octane supplementation

Hi Alfisti:

'Tis been a while since a post from out here, but something caught my eye and tickled
the memory cells... Stefano, fancy this:

While I've never tried this with my current Spider -Alfa content- or employer, I once
regularly added xylene, toluene, absolute ethanol, etc., in varying mixtures to my
tank.

I was a medical technologist in the uniformed services, stationed in SoCal. I worked in
a microbiology/parasitology lab where specimen preparation or identification required
the use of several pure and potent solvents, toluene and xylene among them. At the time
I was driving a Datsun 510, mildly hotted with bolt-on stuff. The Weber DGV 32/36 at
one end and a Shucks "turbo" muffler on a 2" system barked and whoppped pretty well
after tipping a mystery mixture of whatever ends of bottles I could "spirit" out of the
lab and into the tank, a pint or so in an average of ten gallons of late '70s last-of
the-leaded gas.

There were no accelerometer, fifth wheel or GPS data to determine any diffenence in
these tanks and regular pump gas. It sure felt fun though! Lastly, I can say that these
experiments did not cause any deterioration of seals or hose...I drove the car through
college and into med school, ten years after the _ _ _ Y, 'till 1989! (Totaled by a UPS
truck in Seattle)

PJ Wise & Verena Ragazza-'81 Spider Veloce
Wise Acres
Nemah, Washington