[alfa] Re: Quality of gas -- anybody use lower octane?

There is no problem using the lowest octane gas that your car will run
smoothly on.  Higher octane does not create more horsepower.  It only prevents
preignition in higher compression engines, allowing the engine to produce
higher horsepower.

I use the lowest octane available in my 164 and GTV6.  Both cars run great.
In my old Triumph GT6 I had to run premium because the lower octane would
cause pinging and run on.

This has always been how I've understood this issue and Fred use to also say
the same thing.  Only buy premium if you need it.

Scott in MN