[alfa] V6 engine stand adapter/transport

I am looking to take a V6 engine on a "little trip," and am interested in
my options.  Does anybody have any info about engine stand adapters?  I
was interested in something I could roll around easily.  Also, does
anybody have any info on inexpensive shop cranes?  I saw some nice ones
that go into the hitch receiver on a truck, but they were a little
pricey.  I guess I could use a folding type of crane.  I want something
that stows easily.

Happy Holidays!

Al Mitchell

Hi Al..

I can highly reccomend what I ended up using after a bit of searching.. First off, if you have a Harbor Freight near you.. they have decent, cheap engine stands. I got the 1000lb one, (they have smaller) since it has 4 wheels in a better pattern for ease of moving around and stability.
Even though the motor is >300lbs, it's a better platform, and when on sale it's something like $40.

For the crane, I almost got one from HF, they have some 2 ton ones for fairly cheap, and a folding one, but they are pretty big, and their folding one is somewhat larger due to extra iron to enable the folding, it actually has hinges.. Kinda counteracts the intent there..
Nearly bought the non folding one, intending to just take it apart for storage, and a neighbor told me he saw one on sale at a Kragen store.. it was (still is there, but now $170) on sale for $150, also 2 ton, was smaller than all the HF ones, AND you could pull the legs off and store them in pockets in the frame. Whole thing is wheelable and probably smaller than 2' x 3' footprint when in "storage mode". I was impressed, bought it, have been very happy.
As I recall, it had no name when I bought it, and has the "Powerbuilt" brand now..

Nice thing about having one that wheels around, is that it wheels around. More flexable in movement for getting that engine in and out... and you'll want that.. It also makes a handy secondary engine stand.. my 2L has been hanging on it for a while now, as I got to stages of assembly that I couldn't do on the stand, like flywheel, clutch and transmission installation. I never got around to a wonderful Jim Steck motormount engine adapter, shame on me! You should consider one.. It lets you hang the engine sideways from the motormount. Uh, that is, a 4 cyl motor.. don't know if the mount bolt pattern is different on the V6, and center of gravity differences might make it not a good idea. Better ask Jim on that one..

Hope that helps...

Jon
77 Spider --