[alfa] U-joint experiences

I recently needed to replace U-joints on a spider driveshaft. I ordered two
new ones from Bruce's Parts Bin. I had problems installing the first one and
I eventually broke one of the cups as I attempted to press it into the yoke
far enough to install the second snap ring. I measured a new U joint and
compared it with the old one. The total length was 2.60" for the new one and
2.50 " for the old one. I then measured the distance between the outer edge
of the snap ring grooves in the yoke - 2.60". Since the snap rings are about
.047" thick, it is impossible for the longer U-joints to be installed
without modification.

I ordered 2 more from Paul Spruell Alfa in Atlanta. They sent me the same
type that I bought from Bruce. I then contacted Chris Sweetapple at Highwood
Alfa in the UK and he sent me the right ones.

I called Michelle at Spruell and she said that the ones they sell are the
only ones that they can get, that they know they are not exact replacements
and their customers "work around it", presumably by removing metal from the
cups. They willingly allowed me to return them for credit. Bruce also agreed
to take the unused one back for credit.

The long ones are marked "ic-UG" and "F_4" and are supplied in a plastic bag
that is stapled. The ones from Chris are marked "QC" and are supplied in a
zip loc bag and are boxed.

I also tried "PDQ" U-joints from my local Advanced Auto Parts. They are too
short and are a slip fit in the yoke. They have a grease fitting. I was able
to get by with one by shimming the cups with thin washers, and I drove a few
hundred miles on it. I got great gas mileage - 30 mpg with Webers, but I
have never before driven with such a light right foot. The vibration under
modest acceleration scared me into thinking that the drive shaft was about
to come apart.

Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
79 Spider
73 GTV