RE: [alfa] How to check charging system

Amanda -

If you are reading 10 volts across the battery with the engine running the
system is not charging at all.

First thing you need to do, is charge and test the battery. It could be as
simple as a bad battery. There should be at least 12 volts across the
battery with the engine and all accessories off.

Second, what does charging lamp do? Does it come on with the key and remain
on? As silly as this sounds, if the bulb is burned out, the system won't
charge. If the bulb comes on with the key and remains on, then you can
suspect the alternator and/or regulator.

Since the regulator is integral to the alternator, it is a little difficult
to isolate. You could remove the alternator and bring it somewhere to have
it bench tested. Probably the best thing to do, especially if it is of an
unknown age is to send it out and have it rebuilt or replace it with a
rebuilt unit.

Lastly, check the wire that runs from the back of the alternator to the
terminal block on the inner fender. I've seen many of these wires have too
large a voltage drop across them which sometimes causes the charging voltage
to be too low by as much as a volt.

HTH,

Jeff