[alfa] mechanical V6 tensioners, where do you go from here?

Just started reading the digest again after a prolonged hiatus.  I see
the topic of the tensioner failure continues.

2 years ago I purchased a 93S, having read all the info on maintenance
precautions I immediately changed the water pump, bearing, belts, hoses
and tensioner.  I installed the tensioner EXACTLY according to
recommendations and was VERY anal about the whole process.  Double
checked everything and recheckes to make sure.

Drove the car a total of 24 miles during the next two days after
installation when the new tensioner failed.  The spring metal broke just
like in the same place as all the others.  Haven't driven the car since.
Luckily I sustasined no engine damage but have been very leary of going
through this experience again.

So what do you do?  I have another new mechanical tensioner but I notice
people talking about a "ZAT" tensioner.  What is it, is it recommended,
where to purchase?

I really would like to get the car going again but I live in fear of
engine destruction.  Advice welcome.  Any source for the old hydraulic
tensioner refit?    thanks  Cal