[alfa] Re: mechanical tensioners

Brad Anesi wrote:

Peter's points are well taken, but what I am talking about is the spring
failure on the mechanical tensioner, as identified on Mark's page. (Mark,
can you re-post the direct link for that picture again? I can't seem to
locate it from your home page.)
I thought I had a picture too, but I can't find it. Gerry Lehmann posted one a few days ago, so I borrowed it and added it to the Wiki here:

http://alfa.denovich.org/Alfa/TimingBeltDetensioner

Regardless of how correctly the tensioner
was installed, once this spring fails there will be a dramatic reduction in
belt tension and you're just about doomed to have the belt slip, trashing
your head in the process.
I've been super lucky with these damn things. I've had two with broken springs, but I caught them before the engine damage occurred (it only jumped one tooth in both cases). Both had been recently installed (not by me.) The spring broke exactly as pictured. Ethan had similar problems with two tensioners but in one case with much graver results.

Even without the spring problem the mechancial detensioner is a pretty shitty design when compared to a static tensioner. I've heard of _zero_ problems with the static design. It's dead simple to install and use, and I can rotate my engine backwards if I feel like it.

is this horse dead yet?

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org