[alfa] Water pumps and Tensioners

These conversations will go on but I have concluded:

1.  The mechanical tensioners are problematic by design - theirs and their
application on the Alfa valve train.  Considering all the comments about
competent installation and the "never-had-one-fail" segment, these units fail
in service more often than other designs of the period (Saab).  Debate is
desirable but cheap.  Bending valves is not.  I run a modified ZAT install
after one bent valve disaster and several skipped tooth experiences.

2.  The OEM waterpumps last longer.  The problem may be making sure you have
an OEM.  I replaced the pump on our L a few months ago.  Bought the unit from
Di Fatta Bros, an outfit I trust.  The said the unit was OEM even though it
arrived in a unlabeled plastic bag.  I started researching the Bugatti line
that is suppose be the best of several "OEM" suppliers but had to go with the
Di Fatta unit in the interest of getting the car back on the road.

Don