[alfa] Re: Mechanical tensioners

Doug,

My experience of a few years ago duplicated yours. When I removed a
mechanical tensioner that failed one day after installation, I found the
spring had broken in a straight area just inside the end that is swaged into
the body (behind the idler pulley). Alfa Centro requested information about
widespread failure of these tensioners several months ago, but nothing
further has appeared. I have a friend who has done Alfa service for many
years who claims to have a small barrel of failed mechanical tensioners that
he replaced. I finally gave up in frustration, and had him install a Zat
tensioner.

George Schweikle
Lexington KY
'76 Spider
'91 Spider Veloce

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:24:13 -0500
> From: dsedon@domain.elided
> Subject: [alfa] mech'l tensioners
>
> hi all,
>
> on the weekend before the thanksgiving holiday, which i was to drive ~300
miles each way to connecticut for the turkey-kill-fest, the hoh pump decided
to go away in the 164.  absolutely no way i was able to r&r this on such
short notice.  my local mechanic was willing & able to do the yob & i was
able to pick the car up, ready-to-go wednesday evening.  being the prudent
sorta i guy i am, (?!?), i decided to have the t-belt & mech'l tensioner
replaced, since the tensioner had ~100k on it.  well, last week the t-belt
skipped, & i have at least two bent walves...  :<(  i know the mechanic
knows what he's doing, he's worked on alfas for at least 30 years, and he's
done a lot of these tensioners...  i wonder what iap, the parts seller, is
gonna do about this...  but i don't wonder a *lot*...  :<(

> looks like my alfa-owning days are numbered.  i am not sure how much
longer i can manage the time needed to constantly tinker on my two beloved
alfas & on the 164...  it seems every week i am spending a coupla hours
working on *someting* car-related...  i tink it's time to join the ranks of
the rest of the american drones, & get a coupla new, boring, shitboxes...
:<(