Re: [alfa] Re: Water Pumps

Will, Mike:

Some will recall my attempt to do a survey of Milano owners as to their water pump experiences. Survey was unscientific and inconclusive.

Here is as I recall what my final impressions were. There was no discussion of water pump source, ie factory vs. aftermarket.

On my '87 Milano Gold, my first ( probably factory, since I owned the car from 300 miles; but had a head gasket at 1,500 mi) pump failed at 25,000 miles and thereafter closely within multiples of 25,000 miles, so I enquired was my experience unique or did all Milanos do this.

I got responses from early and late (in the US '87 to '89) owners. Some had similar experiences to mine others did not and it seemed early cars had more trouble than later cars. At the time I was not clued in to the Verde / 3 litre thing so did notice if there was any distinction in peoples answers.

Driving the later and especially Verde's has always seemed to me to be a much better experience, the cars more solid feeling more like a GTV6 not as tinny as my Milano Gold 2.5 felt. That is totally subjective and not directly related to waterpump life. I can say I have never while driving someone else's Milano Verde had a pump fail.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, Tx

Will Owen wrote:

Mike McMahon asked:

"Has anyone in the USA had any bad experiences with aftermarket water
pumps, or was that a Euro-centric issue?"

Bill Werner, the guy (owner of Alfa Only) to whom I entrust my Milano
utterly, says that aftermarket water pumps have in his experience had
about half the service life of the factory item. Knowing that I am a
person of very limited means, he sells me the cheaper stuff when it's
Just As Good, but lets me know when it's not (though he still leaves the
decision to me), and the water pump question, which came up fairly
recently, was a topic upon which he was quite vehement. I took his
advice and sprang for the factory pump.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA USA