Re: [alfa] Starter drive gear measurement

Jon,

The opposite holds true as well.  I tried putting a 131 tooth starter on a 130 tooth flywheel configuration and it did not work properly (actually I tried 3 such starters- its a long story and a big waste of time).  Call Paul at DiFatta Brothers and he will set you straight (he did for me ultimately).  If you insist on trying this, the set-up will grind, and sometimes wonn't even engage.

If you are interested, I have an "extra" starter for a Series 4 (meant for a 130 tooth flywheel).  It is the compact, gear reduction starter used on today's vehicles and is definitely the way to go.

Let me know if you are interested in it.  But please, don't waste you time trying to put the wrong starter on your car.  You will ultimately ruin both the starter and the ring gear.  My '73 with a 130 tooth flywheel cranks perfect now with the series 4 starter.

Like I said, I paid $300 for a new one.  I then bought a used one (in mint condition) a week later for back-up.  If you want it, you can have it for $100.

--
Jason Hagen
Chicago, IL