[alfa] nearsided shooting brakes and such

Enjoyable to banter about such things. I observe that Estate car refers as much to 2 door as to four door vehicles, so long as they have a rear door or hatch (let us not quibble about when an Estate car becomes a hatchback). I was not aware that a shooting brake had to be a four door. Surely the original would be an open backed vehicle of some type suitable for shooting from, thus not really related to the automotive form after about 1930.

As for near side and offside I am relieved there is some confusion on this point. In British useage nearside refers to the kerb side and offside to the driver's side as the driver sits to the right. This cannot derive from equestrian useage as nearside would logically refer to the driver's side, from which one mounts the vehicle. Though many early British sporting cars only had a passenger door on the nearside, the driver simply swung a leg over the driver's side to enter the vehicle.

To illustrate how easily this is confused you only have to read the post following that of the esteemed Mr. Hertzman in which a poster agreeing with him reverses the useage in equestrian terms. When you realize that most people are right handed and right footed, the illogic of using your left foot to mount a horse is even more interesting, and bicycles are commonly mounted from the left....

Point is that the only people who use nearside and offside in association with vehicles are the British and for them it means left and right respectively, as well as Kerb and Driver's side, which is the reverse of what I had understood to be the case. I would have defined it from the perspective of the driver in the vehicle, the nearside being closest to the driver and offside the opposite, vainly trying to apply logic to the useage without understanding the origin of the useage.

Living as I do in Canada where we drive on the right side of the road I see I am correct in this reverse interpretation as it applies to Canadian driving!

The wonders of bilingualism, and I speak only English.

Cheers

nearsided Michael

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L