[alfa] Car audio misconceptions corrected

Popular misconception:

Amplifiers and subwoofers are only for people who want to cause a
nuisance.

Origin of the misconception:

Many citizens are only made aware that a car is equipped with an
amplifier and a subwoofer if it causes a nuisance. However, these
accidental observations do not indicate anything about the
"denominator", the total number of cars equipped with subwoofers. In
fact, amplifiers and subwoofers have become mainstream...BMW and Volvo (yes, Volvo) offer some models with 10" subs and powerful amplifiers.

How to correct the misconception:

Play your favorite piece of music on a high-end car stereo with and without the subwoofer. Notice the near-perfect left to right imaging across the dash. If the system is properly tuned (the sub is not supposed to sound boomy or overpowering), you won't know that the sub is there until it is disconnected. Then you will notice that the sound loses significantly in realism.

For those of us who drive our Alfas many miles each day, a good audio system matters, and it apparently does to some casual drivers too. To paraphrase a famous statement relating to motorcyclists from the 1950's, by my estimate, 99% of all car stereo hobbyist are mature music lovers.

Cheers,
Sonny '91 164S
Baltimore