[alfa] Starter drive gear measurement

OK, I have a unususal request.

I'm looking for somebody(s) who has a known 72-74 era starter (the one meant for the 130 tooth ring gear) who could measure the drive gear with a caliper for me.

I have a 130 tooth ring gear (due to my rebuilding an early motor) and a 131 tooth starter. I also have a couple of starter drives I got at a swap that seem slightly larger than my 77 starter's drive.

Since we're talking a difference of .987" to .997", I'm wondering if all I'm seeing is wear.

So, if anyone has a known 130 tooth starter handy and a pair of calipers, it would be great if you could measure across the two widest teeth and let me know what you found. Since the 9 tooth "star" ends up without two teeth exactly across from each other, you can't measure true diameter.
Measuring across the widest two is the reference I've been using.

This will be nice if we can nail this down, then it will be possible to pick up an unknown starter and determine what ring gear it will be happy with. From what I've found, you can't do this just by reading part numbers, even Bosch dosen't seem to know what the old numbers mean nowadays.

I'm kicking myself for not measuring diameters and tooth dimensions on the early gear (have the transmission back on the engine now) but can on the 131 flywheel. I'll try to guestimate the size difference of that one tooth, and what it will do to the diameter and therby radius of the drive gear, as a cross check.

Jon
77 Spider