[alfa] polishing and shotpeening rods

What's the current best practice on getting the most out of stock Alfa 2
litre con-rods?

Ten years ago, when I was still reading Hot Rod regularly, the view seemed to
be that if one was undertaking a good budget rebuild, and couldn't stretch to
forged or billet rods, then the way to go was to polish, then shotpeen the
stock rods.  Polishing was done longitudinally only, on the outermost
surfaces of the I shaped cross section.

Is this still considered good practice?

Regards,
Anthony White