[alfa] intake manifold gasket

How necessary are intake manifold gaskets on a 2 litre engine?
I'm quite comfortable using 'gasket maker' such as Hylomar for most (all?) of
the other gaskets on my engine.  Eric Storhok has previously noted that the
$2003 challenge car had only a head gasket, and used gasket maker for the
rest.

However, the intake manifold (to head) gasket on the engine I just pulled was
made from similar material to the head gasket, where every other gasket has
been the normal skinny type.  Why the difference?

I ask, as I'm having trouble finding anyone in NZ with a head set they can
get to me before Christmas.  I have found a head gasket.  I'd really like to
put my rebuilt head on the car this weekend.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ