[alfa] Re: Re:Timing belt life

I'd like to add my two cents worth to the 'backwards thing'. If you find yourself parked on an incline the following basic advice should be self apparent: If you park with the nose pointing uphill, leave the car IN REVERSE. If you park facing downhill, leave it IN FIRST. The aim here is to make sure that if the parking brake gives way and the car rolls a bit (hopefully you will have remembered to park hard by the curb with the wheels turned INTO the curb -whichever way you are facing) the engine will turn in the CORRECT DIRECTION. Again, not allowing an Alfa V-6 to run backwards cannot be too highly stressed (especially the 12-valve engines as well as the early 24-valve engines built before Alfa redesigned the belt path in 1996).

George Graves

GTV-6

On Dec 14, 2003, at 10:19 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:34:00 -0600
From: "Peter Webb" <webb.p@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] Re:Timing belt life

Karl Doll has picked me up on the 50,000 mile life of cam belts I
mentioned. I
should qualify my comments. For reasons I do not comprehend V6
12v Cam belts
have an intended life of 50,000, but ought to be changed at about
35,000. The
V6 24v cam belts have an intended life of 70,000, but 50,000 is the usual
change time, and whilst these intervals are anything but set in
stone, they do
cover the vast majority of eventualities. If you want to do them
more often,
thats fine.
A couple of things on belts. Our local expert, Mike Besic, recommends the
factory belt over the aftermarket belt. They are reinforced with carbon
kevlar strips and far less prone to stretch and, more importantly, less
prone to skip if accidentally rolled backwards. I just had this
conversation with him yesterday while he had a Verde in for drive shaft
replacement. While tightening the donut bolts the shaft moved backwards on
him and he could hear the belt jump the exhaust cam. The fact that they
can skip with a slight jog of the shaft is scary. The factory belts are
quite a bit more expensive than the aftermarket belts. Personally, I don't
cheap out on anything for the Verde. It gets the best of everything which
has contributed to it being a very reliable, fun car.

Another note on the backwards thing. I had a situation a while back that
the required a tow on the Verde. I specifically requested a flat bed
rather than a hook. The driver left the car in gear on the truck. During
unloading he was about to roll the car backwards off the bed. Quick
thinking got me to stop him before he moved it so I could check it was in
neutral. It wasn't. I averted a possible catastrophe. If your 75/Milano
ever needs to be towed, make sure it's not in gear when it loaded on the
truck. I always request a flatbed truck rather than a front hook for all
my cars. I hate the idea of the transmission/transaxle turning with no heat
or oil circulation.

- -Peter