RE: [alfa] Re:Timing belt life

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Peter Webb wrote:
> truck.   I always request a flatbed truck rather than a front hook for all
> my cars.  I hate the idea of the transmission/transaxle turning with no heat
> or oil circulation.

The transaxle is lubricated by splash.  There's no engine driven pump.
There is no "oil circulation".  The turning of the gears themselves
splashes the oil around in the case.  This is going to happen even if
the car is rolling in neutral unpowered.  Not quite as much heat will
be generated as when the car is under power, but certainly enough to
get the oil warm.

There are a number of reasons to want a flatbed over a hook, but this
shouldn't be one of them.

jamesm