[alfa] FM radio antennas

I have a '73 GTV and do not want to cut a hole for a radio antenna. I live in hilly area of Tennessee, and mainly listen to FM radio. So, I'm in a poor radio reception situation but want good radio reception without a mast antenna. Currently I have a mast antenna just laying on rear the package shelf, slightly raised and under the glass, but have also had it concealed under the padding going up the passenger side A pillar and on the rear package shelf but concealed just under the back lip of the rear seat. The latter two positions did not provide good reception, and the current position is better, but still marginal reception and it looks dumb.

Below is a link to a "powered" radio antenna with a signal amplification that uses a flexible wire instead of a mast and hence can be concealed in the car. Note the text next to the picture at the link (and pasted below).

http://www.customautosound.com/prodList.php?FamID=13

"For the best AM/FM reception nothing works better than a 31" vertically mounted antenna mast. Recognizing that application is impossible on some vehicles our improved amplified antenna is the next best thing. Mounts on the inside top of windshield (or rear package tray) for best performance. Note radio signals cannot penetrate metal. Do not attempt to hide this unit under the dash. Requires 12 volts."

Sounds like any antenna will not work when encased in the car's metal bodywork - correct? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the effectiveness of this kind of antenna? Or should I just cut a hole and put up the mast antenna? (My preferred location is right rear fender). Thanks!

kct, Powell, TN