[alfa] RE: What is your confidence level in the Milano V6? (was RE: [alfa] Re: What I want)

You've already got a lot of good advice and testimonials, but since this was
directed to me I'll add my $.02.

> > In fact, in a 1997 European Car article, the Milano was
> > listed as the best bargain of used daily drivers.   I have to agree.
>
> Was that the V6 Milanos or the 4 cylinders?

European car is primarily an American magazine focused on European cars
here.   The article focused on the 2.5, specifically the Platinum.   The
Verde's then and still are a bit more pricey than the 2.5s.   As it happens,
I was looking at a Platinum back yard rescue at the time.   They put me over
the top.   It was a fantastic car.  Did all the needed repairs when I got it
home, fluids, tune-up etc.   Drove it daily as a commute car and everyday
car for 2 years through any weather (it had the factory rust installed when
I bought it).   Stranded me only once which was not the fault of the car.
The car wasn't charging so the DPO, in messing with the battery cables, left
off the negative lead connected to the PS bracket.   The only ground path
left was the throttle cable.   In hot weather one day the fan kicked on.
The amperage melted the throttle cable and left me on the side of the road.
One throttle cable and a chiropractor later, it ran flawlessly.  The
charging problem turned out to be the PS pump leaking fluid into the
alternator.   After cleaning it out and fixing the leak, no further
problems.

Which illustrates my original point.   They need to be maintained.   If you
let things go, you'll have problems.  If you keep after things and don't
cheap out on repairs, it's every bit as reliable as any car.   The
unreliable Italian car is a myth.   The cheap owner is not.   When you write
a check to your local Alfa mechanic for $500 to fix things, remember that
could be to a bank every month.  Would you rather pay $500 twice a year or
the first of every month?

And BTW, have you ever priced dealer service on a new car?   A friend just
paid $600 for a 60K service on a Honda Civic.   That wasn't even the belt
interval (which is set at 90K).   A belt replacement on the Verde cost me
less than his service.   I have an excellent and honest local repair shop,
Besic Motorsports, that takes care of the current Verde for me.   I never
cheap out or quibble about what he charges me.   He offers me free advice
and great service.  In return I'm a regular and loyal customer.   I actually
spend more in upgrades than maintenance with him but that's another story.
We get into some pretty radical and hairy projects which I gladly pay for
his expertise.   If you're lucky enough to have a local guy like this, take
full advantage and pay him what he's worth.

> I'm (hopefully) about to get a Milano (ok, my second -- after
> having to sell
> my first, but I only drove the 1st a couple of times since it was
> in MN and
> I wasn't) that I plan to use as a daily driver for both my wife and I. I
> know I'll be putting some money into it early on. You usually do when you
> get a new used car.
>
> What has me the most concerned is the timing belt "issues" that the v6s
> suffer.

The cost of a timing belt replacement every 2 years is about 1 car payment
for a new Honda.  You do the math.

Personally, I don't drive the Milano for gas mileage.   I'm a little heavy
on the loud pedal, but that's what I consider fun about them.   And contrary
to what "The Fast and the Furious" teach you, too much loud pedal on a Honda
will make it explode like any other car for the masses.  It's just not a
performance car no matter how many flames you paint on it.   The performance
of the Milano is addictive.

> In that Honda, if I got a call that I needed to head cross country because
> of a sick family member, I wouldn't have hesitated. Get in the
> car, start it
> up, and go.
>
> How many of you would do that with your V6 Alfas? Make a "last
> minute" trip
> of at least 1,500 miles one way, checking only the oil, fluids, and tires
> before getting on the highway? What if you have 25,000 miles
> since the last
> t-belt? What if you have 29,000 miles on the t-belt?
>
> I guess the better question is to ask how confident you are with the v6
> Alfas? A car that faithfully and reliably takes you to work less than 10
> miles each way, but that your not comfortable taking on a cross
> country trip
> is complete different than a car that you'd hop into and drive 12 hours to
> meet some friends for a last minute gathering, or even head out on a cross
> country road trip.

I took the backyard Platinum to Buffalo, NY and back several times for trips
to the in-laws.   I drove the Verde from Boston to Chicago the day I bought
it without a second thought.   I knew the PO and history of the Verde before
I bought it so that's probably not a fair comparison.  The PO is as
meticulous about his Alfas as I am.   I wouldn't hesitate to drive the
current Verde 3000 miles or more and have considered doing so.   This year,
I've driven it 2-3 hours to a track, run the piss out of it and driven it
home.   Never crossed my mind it wouldn't do both.

It's currently put away for the winter.   It's a rust free car that's never
seen snow or winter.  It's my choice to preserve that.   I will say the
Milano with the correct tires is a fantastic 4 season car.   The rear wheel
arches rust.    Admittedly, that's a flaw in the car.   The transaxle and
RWD is a ton of fun in the snow.   With the power the car has, it's like
being in the WRC.   It has a confident feel on dry or slick.

I have a truck for the snow and general utility.   I can't get by without
one.   Though I have used Alfa's for parts hauling I prefer to get the truck
greasy.   Plus I have a need to tow.

-Peter

'87 Verde (fun, fast and furious)
'86 Spider (go kart)