[alfa] RE: What is your confidence level in the Milano V6? (was RE: [alfa] Re: What I want)

"How many of you would do that with your V6 Alfas? Make a "last minute" trip
of at least 1,500 miles one way, checking only the oil, fluids, and tires
before getting on the highway?"

Greg, I have done this with my Milano on at least 2 occasions. I have also
taken it to "last minute" track days that have popped up with similar
minimal maintenance. In none of these cases have I had any problems, with
the exception of a battery that developed a bad cell and would not charge.
On my last 3000+ mile trip, my Milano had a faulty coil wire that burned
completely through, JUST AS I PULLED BACK INTO MY GARAGE! That's what I call
a good car.

The secret is, of course, to maintain the car as if events like this may
occur at any time. I keep hydraulic fluid and coolant fresh (within 1 year)
and run sythetic oil that would allow me to "stretch" an oil change interval
if needed. Clean all grounds on a regular basis, whether they need it or
not.

Fix the little issues as they pop up, instead of letting them accumulate to
the point where would prevent a trip of any sort.

Your second scenario "A car that faithfully and reliably takes you to work
less than 10
miles each way" is the one I would never subject an Alfa to. If either Alfa
will not have a chance get fully warmed up and get a few WOT runs to
redline, it doesn't get out of the garage. For short trips, this usually
means taking the long way home : )

Joe Cabibbo <joe@domain.elided>
Website Content and Design
http://www.AlfaCentro.com