[alfa] Re: Boots bonnets and trunks

Don't rub it in. Every time I think of our stupid automobile legislation and the dumb laws governing importation of cars for private use and the goddamn idiot customs people who enforce them, my blood pressure goes through the roof. You gotta know that a country has its priorities screwed up when Immigration can't find a foreign Muslim in the US on a student visa, who's disappeared into the general population to plot who-only-knows-what, but US Customs will be knocking at your door on the one-hundred-and eighty-first day after you sign an agreement at dockside to upgrade your imported car to idiotic US standards within 6 months; ready to haul said car to the crusher and gleefully take the bond you posted. While out of the other side of it's mouth, our benighted government lets Americans who buy non-importable cars overseas while living and working there to bring them back as personal property without having to do anything except get them smogged. Talk about double standards. Aieee!

George Graves 86 GTV-6

On Dec 13, 2003, at 1:47 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:28:34 -0700
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Boots bonnets and trunks

BTW, Until the US changes its unique automobile manufacturing legislation
you are doomed to a diet of less and less interesting cars, more expensive
cars, and the ubiquitous and absurd SUV phenomenon. Not only will Alfa
never return, neither will many others. Just carefully examine the lack of
choice you have as consumers of automobiles compared to the 60's and 70's.
Not to mention how ugly most NA spec models have become. At a certain level
a boring looking car is just ugly.
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner