[alfa] Spica Fuel Cutoff Solenoid

I've seen it coming for a while and despite my babying, yesterday it finally
happened, the spade connector on the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid snapped off. Has
anybody ever found away to replace that connector or do I need to find a
replacement?

Mitch Wolberg,
Denver, CO
69 Berlina - If its not one thing its a half dozen others.
69 Spider Jr.

I soldered mine back on. Just had to clean parts up to get good, clean surfaces. However, positioning/holding the spade for soldering was the big annoyance.

//kct, Powell,TN
This can work, but think of it as a temporary fix.

Solder should not be thought of as a mechanical connection, because it's so soft, and has terrible dynamic properties. (stretches and cracks very easily with stress)

That said, if there's not a lot of vibration stress, (just the wire hanging off the engine) it could last a long while. It also depends on the joint. If there is a tight fit mechanically, and the solder is just filling in the gap (like all good solder joints are supposed to be) you'll have much better results than if you just held two parts together and used the solder as glue.

Not criticising your idea or tecnique Kent.. just wanted to mention that soldering things together is nowhere near something like a braised joint.

Couple of tips for soldering.. yes, clean clean clean.. A fine wire brush should help getting hard to reach areas bright again.. Tin the surfaces (coat with a thin layer of solder) if possible before making the joint. Get good ol' rosin core solder (type of flux) it works much better than the new water removable flux that is used a lot nowadays.. hate that stuff...

I had a decision on doing this myself.. I managed to slip and break off one of the terminals of the reverse switch (inside the Bell Housing) and even though it had a pretty tight fit on the stud of the rivet that used to hold it, I didn't solder it. Probably would have held up for a long while, but because it means removing the transmission from the engine to replace it.... I bought a new one.

Anyway, you might even be able to resolder it a few times.. and hey, they have butane powered soldering irons for those long trips far from home.. ;-)

Also, Wes Ingram has them listed on his website for $85, if you want the long term fix..

Jon (offering the wisdom of working with solder for a couple of decades)
77 Spider