Re: alfa-digest V9 #1011>Subject: [alfa] 105 light switch R&R

Jacob,

The problem you are having is due to a loss of tension and probably burned
contacts in the switch. I have been using a repair for this for many years
with about a 95% success rate.  You don't have to remove the wheel either.
Remove the plastic cowls covering the column.  Get a can of contact cleaner
and some type of abrasive cloth, thin points file or emery board. If you
inspect the switch and move the lever to the first position, you will see a
set of contacts, that look much like a miniature set of ignition points
moving up and down.  Insert your abrasive of choice between the points and
gently move in and out, enough to clean of the top of each point. Now clean
with contact cleaner and allow to dry.  If you are handy with small tools,
you can also bend the point arm slightly to create a tad more tension
between the points.  Don't bend too much as you will create a situation
where the circuit is always closed.  The reason that this burning occurs is
that there is no relay in the circuit. The result of this design is that the
switch contact carry the full amperage load of the lights. I would suggest
that you install a relay in circuit.  The result is that the only load the
switch will carry is the signal to the relay and the relay will do the full
amperage load carrying. I would also suggest install relays for the high and
low beam circuits. Good Luck.

Rex Chalmers
Alfa Sport
Alfarex.com  (on line in January 04)