[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1012

Dear Mitch:
Do I ever know the story of the Jr.Z. It belongs to Roger Willett. I offered
to trade my very nice 1969 1750 Boattail for his non-running car. I saw the
car on Ebay and I sent him all of the restoration pictures along with a stamped
self addressed envelope. If he liked my Spider he could keep the pictures and
I would deliver the car to him in Littleton Colorado. If not, he was out
nothing and all he had to do was drop the pictures back into the mail. He agreed to
trade cars and I drove from Newport News Virginia to Littleton. 1754 miles. I
also arranged for a friend to drive out from here with his truck to tow the
Jr.Z back home. When we arrived I turned over my car and went to Roger's house.
He started humming and hawing about the trade and then decided the Spider
didn't run well. It didn't. As I pointed out when I gave him the car, the engine
had been converted to European specs, i.e., Euro carb cams and Webers. The
Webers had been jetted for operation at sea level, not 5500 feet. The car was
idling poorly and whistling. I explained that the simplest and best fix would be
to swap the jets from the carbs on the Jr. Z to the Spider, then both cars
would again be set up correctly. He didn't seem interested. He then decided he
didn't want to trade cars. My friend prevented me from getting into any trouble
and the next morning we got back into our vehicles and drove the 1754 miles
back to our homes in Virginia. I have repeatedly called and e-mailed, including
this time around because he kept my pictures. He has never replied.  I would
greatly appreciate any Colorado area Alfa owner who reads this getting my
pictures back. Since I still have the Spider I would like to have the pictures of
the restoration.
Thomas Gonnella
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Owners Club