[alfa] RE: V-6 Timing Belt Tensioner

Thanks for the suggestions.  To clarify a little, I have removed the
mechanical tensioner and the oil return hole was nicely tapped and plugged.
The oil supply hole had a stud correctly sized for the threaded hole so
after I removed it my stud for the oil fed tensioner fit perfectly.  The
only problem is that I have to block the hole in the stud (and seal the
threads) to prevent any oil flow to the tensioner.  This should create a
nice static tensioner which I is the effect I am after.  Just as background,
I have used the Zat tensioner in the past on other vehicles and never had a
problem and don't particularly mind changing the belt often.  Changing the
timing belt is easy and cheap.  Contrast that with the serious problems
people have with the thermomechanical tensioner and I feel much better with
the static one on my engine.  Not numerous failures but serious when it does
happen.  An unacceptable, to me, failure mode.  With the static tensioner I
never had to worry about which way I rotate my engine, or if a spring has
broken, or if I followed the correct instructions to install it.  I'm not
arguing which is better, just stating which is better for me.  However, this
is actually my second choice.  If I could have found a Sperry upgraded unit
I would retain the oil-fed portion of the original tensioner.  Does anyone
know what Sperry actually did to the tensioner to cure the leaking problem?

Jason Ritchie
Boise, Idaho
74 Spider
86 GTV6