From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Mark
Denovich
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 2:04 PM
To: Alfa Digest
Subject: Re: [alfa] Milano heater fan, etc

MCosgrove@domain.elided wrote:

> How easy is it to remove the heater fan assembly from under the front of
> the console of a Milano?  I have the cover removed from the motor side and
> all bot one of the screws that hold the cover on in the passenger
footwell.
> Once I get that last hard to get to screw out, will I find there are still
> 6 or 7 impossible to remove, or if possible to remove, impossible to
> replace fasteners I can't yet see?

It's a bear but it can be done.  It should slide out as a unit (motor,
squirrel cage, and black plastic shroud) from the driver's side.   The
speed control is screwed into the ducting by two self taping screws.

> Anybody out there have a spare fan assembly?  Mine runs only on high
> (resistors burned out?) and has developed a wobble.  Until the assembly is
> out I can't determine if the wobble and speed control are fixable or not.

Good luck, the fans are NLA.  You can still get the ones they use in
Europe, but they are of a much different design than the US ones.  If
you are patient and resourceful you might be able to rebush them...
it's tough because it's a spherical brass bushing at the end that is
probably worn out.

The speed control is simply two or three coils of nicrome wire connected
in series.   If they over heat the car either burns to a crisp, or the
wires connecting the loops together acts like a fuse.  They are pretty
easy to fix with a soldering iron.   It would be interesting idea to
switch to ceramic resistors or a more modern speed control (mosfets?) as
the stock device gets scary hot.   Becareful if you bench test the speed
control... without being in the airflow of that duct, it will get red hot.

There is some info on the Milano heater on the old Milano Resource...  I
haven't moved it to the Wiki yet:

http://denovich.org/alfa/sikand_mti/clone/75heat.htm

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org