[alfa] auto reliability - new vs. old

I know I'm beating the proverbial dead horse after all the postings but
I had to give my two cents worth. Auto reliability has improved
immeasureably over the last 20 years. Sure, it is easy to point at a
failure of an i-Drive system and bemoan the complexity and resulting
impossibly high cost of replacing such electronics, but the fact is
that these systems actually have very low failure rates. The primary
problem with i-Drive has been its poor UI, not reliability. My guess is
that most of em will still be working OK 10 years from now, at least
those that the owners have not ripped out of the console in
frustration. It is easy to say that our Alfas are more reliable etc.
than other cars, and that these new cars with all the electronic gizmos
will be sticking people with enormous repair bills ten years down the
road, but without statistics such claims are meaningless.

George
74 GTV