Re: [alfa] NOT TRUE__Reliability-are we going backwards or forwards-Some Alfa conten

webb.p@domain.elided wrote:
In one paragraph you say they fail even when installed correctly, in the next you say they fail because they aren't installed correctly.

I'm not understanding your point.
The first paragraph was quoted from an earlier post by David Jarman, but that fact was not clearly (at all) indicated. Nick was defending the thermo-mechanical tensioner and the Centerline instructions for installing it.

That said, I'll never put a thermo-mechanical tensioner in one of my V6 Alfas. Period. I'll give Nick the benefit of the doubt (he's a cool guy) and accept his failure statistics... Even at the low end that means: 1 in 100 odds (1-2% failure rate) every 30k miles (the timing belt replacement interval) that I'll have to rebuild my motor (even when I follow the "correct" procedure.) That's hardly something to brag about. Even if they don't fail, you can still screw the pooch if the engine rotates backwards (in a spin, or because of hill & weak parking brake, or when you shut off the engine and it pops backwards (that's when mine jumped time))... It's a piss poor design.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org