[alfa] Removing the brake fluid from the reservoir

Happy holiday to one and all!!!

I have a 1987 Alfa Spider Quad, 2.0l and would like to flush the braking
system entirely.  I can empty the front reservoir with a turkey syringe, but
can't get the rear reservoir to drain.

Any thoughts.  I don't see anything in the books or on the CD about this.

Thanks

Bob Rand

Hmmm... Well, I know of what you speak, Bob. Earlier in my restoration project, I pulled my original ATE brake fluid tank, to clean out all the gunk.. and ripped out one of the barbs on the bottom. So, I now have the newer replacement type, and it's design is to have that "wall" about half way up the tank, separating the two chambers. The original tank had something similar as I recall, but the filler cap was centered, unlike this one where it is on the forward side only.

I guess the reason is, if you have a leak, you only loose half your fluid, and still have the other half of the system functional. Only way to get around the draining problem, would be to snake a hose into the other half.. My turkey baster has a hose attached to it, BTW. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if there's enough clearance, but probably would be.

Other thing to do, is open a rear bleeder screw on the rears, and just let it out that way till it's ALMOST empty.

Jon
77 Spider